This morning, the Cuban Ministry of the Interior (MININT) announced that on April 26, four terrorists who live in Miami were arrested for plotting terrorist attacks on Cuba soil. Their names are José Ortega Amador, Obdulio Rodríguez González, Raibel Pacheco Santos and Félix Monzón Álvarez.
Santiago Álvarez, Osvaldo Mitat, Manuel Alzugaray, collaborators with terrorist Luis Posada Carriles, were directing the plotters
The four men who are now detained in Cuba have admitted to Cuban authorities that Santiago Álvarez, Osvalto Mitat and Manuel Alzugaray were directing their actions.
Who is Santiago Álvarez Fernández Magriña?
Although he has long been labeled in the Miami Herald and El Nuevo Herald as a "Miami businessman," Álvarez is a terrorist with a long history of financing terrorist Luis Posada Carriles's murderous plots and fugitive escapes from justice.
Here are just a few facts about the terrorist Álvarez:
· In 2001, he bought 8 assault rifles in Miami and thousands of rounds of ammunition. The weapons were later found on four men arrested in Cuba. Álvarez ordered them to blow up the Tropicana nightclub in Havana with C-4 explosives, threatening hundreds of people.
· In 2000, he was involved in the plot to try to assassinate Fidel Castro in Panama, led by Posada Carriles. Posada and three others were convicted and jailed, but after they were pardoned by pro-U.S. Panama president Mireya Moscoso, Álvarez flew three of the men into Miami on his plane.
· Together with Osvaldo Mitat, he personally sneaked Posada Carriles into Miami on a boat in March 2005. Posada runs loose in Miami, continuing to collaborate with his terrorist accomplices.
· Álvarez and Mitat were caught with massive weapons caches in 2005, yet they received a very light sentence.
Read more about the terrorist history of Santiago Álvarez
First George Bush and now Barack Obama harbor known terrorists in Miami, but keep the Cuban Five heroes imprisoned.
The Cuban Five anti-terrorists, of whom three are still unjustly imprisoned in U.S. prisons, were thwarting the terrorist plots of the Miami terrorists, yet the U.S. government continues to hold Gerardo Hernández, Ramón Labañino and Antonio Guerrero in prison. The announcement of the April 26 arrest of the Miami terrorists in Cuba completely vindicates the Cuban Five. Obama has the power and obligation to do justice by immediately freeing the Cuban Five.
Sign the petition to tell Obama:
- Stop harboring anti-Cuba terrorists, arrest them and protect all potential victims of terrorism.
- Free the Cuban Five Now! They were on a life-saving mission in Miami, monitoring and preventing the very plots of Miami terrorists, like those now under arrest in Cuba.
- Extradite Luis Posada Carriles to Venezuela, or indict and try him for masterminding the Cubana airliner bombing that killed 73 people on Oct. 6, 1976. The Montreal Convention (Article 7) requires that he be tried by the U.S. government if Washington continues to refuse to honor Venezuela's extradition petition.
Click here to sign the petition
National Committee to Free the Cuban Five